Clemmons School memorabilia cabinet installed in Historic Broyhill
The long-awaited Clemmons School memorabilia cabinet has been installed in Historic Broyhill, the former Clemmons School location.
This project is a result of a fundraising campaign spanning more than two years. The alumni of the school and donors from the community have raised almost $15,000 in support of the cabinet fund. An account for donations has been set up at First National Bank in Clemmons.
Clemmons School served the community from 1926 until 1956 as a high school and 1956 to 1981 as Clemmons Elementary School. The committee is grateful to Ed Broyhill, owner of Historic Broyhill, for allocating space for the cabinet.
The cabinet was built by Poindexter Lumber Company. It is 18 feet wide, 8 feet tall and is located in the east wing of the former school building. When completed, it will have tempered glass doors and shelves. The Clemmons Historical Society has donated to the fund and will use a portion of the cabinet to display items about the history of the village.
The alumni of the school have been providing memorabilia. All alumni are encouraged to contact any member of the Memorabilia Cabinet Committee if they have items to donate.
• Barbara and Tom Mahannah, 336-766-2346; 336-408-4906;
• George Wilson, 336-416-3923;
• David Hauser, president of Clemmons Historical Society, 336-766-9823;
• Janice Bodsford Foster, 336-940-2449; 336-749-0825;
• Sarah Morgan, 919-851-1892;
• Odell Cheek, 336-765-3594;
• Ellen Vogler Matthews; 336-463-2934