Additional visitor restrictions now in effect at hospitals
Published 3:57 pm Wednesday, March 11, 2020
The changes are aimed at controlling COVID-19 and other respiratory viruses.
WINSTON-SALEM — Novant Health, along with six other regional health systems, is expanding visitor restrictions and asking those who are not immediate family members to avoid visiting patients unless absolutely necessary — even if visitors are healthy and regardless of their age.
Novant Health is taking these additional measures to help control the spread of respiratory illnesses such as COVID-19 and to protect the health of our patients, their loved ones and our team members.
Nursing team members and the infection prevention team will work with extended families who have special circumstances, such as a critically ill or injured family member, on a case-by-case basis.
Temporary visitor restrictions due to the flu virus outbreak for children age 12 and under remain in effect. These restrictions should not prevent anyone from seeking medical care.
The restrictions apply to the following hospitals throughout the Novant Health system, including:
- Novant Health Brunswick Medical Center
- Novant Health Charlotte Orthopedic Hospital
- Novant Health Clemmons Medical Center
- Novant Health Forsyth Medical Center
- Novant Health Hemby Children’s Hospital
- Novant Health Huntersville Medical Center
- Novant Health Kernersville Medical Center
- Novant Health Matthews Medical Center
- Novant Health Medical Park Hospital
- Novant Health Mint Hill Medical Center
- Novant Health Presbyterian Medical Center
- Novant Health Rowan Medical Center
- Novant Health Thomasville Medical Center
This is a rapidly evolving situation and Novant Health will take additional steps to help control the spread of the virus as necessary.
Visitors are encouraged to use phone calls or video chats on personal phones or mobile devices to communicate with loved ones.
The decision to expand these visitor restrictions is a collaborative effort among Novant Health and six other regional health systems: Atrium Health, Blue Ridge Health, CaroMont Health, Cone Health, Randolph Health and Wake Forest Baptist Health.