Forsyth Country Day School begins school year with in-person learning for all students
Published 3:21 pm Monday, August 17, 2020
LEWISVILLE — Forsyth Country Day School will open its doors to almost 800 students on Wednesday, Aug. 19. Classes will be offered on campus every day following CDC guidelines. The school will follow carefully considered plans developed by a reopening task force this summer.
FCDS has implemented the following strategies to ensure the best learning environment for students while prioritizing their safety:
- Redesigned physically-distanced classrooms
- Hand-washing stations and comprehensive daily sanitation
- Floor decals and signs to stay six feet apart
- Face coverings for everyone
- Daily health screenings and temperature checks
- Outdoor spaces, outdoor classrooms, and flexible outdoor seating
- Expanded health services clinic with a sick and a well side along with one full-time and three part-time nurses
- Emotional support from dedicated school counselors
- Technology to support all learning
If students in grades 5-12 are not comfortable coming to campus or have a health concern, they have the option of FuryFlex — a way to virtually attend live classes occurring on campus.
Forsyth Country Day has also planned for the possibility of having to flip back to virtual learning at a moment’s notice, with all teachers attending virtual learning training over the summer in order to further enhance the methods they used in the spring.
“The virtual learning we were able to do this spring was remarkable because we’d never done anything like it before — no one had,” Head of School Gardner Barrier said. “We’ve learned so much since then, and we’re ready for our students and families no matter what’s ahead.”
About Forsyth Country Day School
Established in 1970, Forsyth Country Day School is a coeducational independent school serving children from age 2 through grade 12. FCDS offers a balanced education, individual attention, and invested teachers to prepare students for what’s ahead. The average K-12 class size is 14. Highly qualified teachers encourage intellectual curiosity forming the foundation of lifelong learning. Students benefit from a challenging academic curriculum, fine and performing arts, competitive athletics, and a wide selection of extracurricular activities. For more information, go to www.fcds.org .