• 79°

Couriering Clemmons — This week in 1981

Couriering this area this week in 1981 — 40 years ago: Last Friday night, there was a surprise party for Mr. and Mrs. Marvin E. Brewer of Brookdale Drive, in celebration of their 54th anniversary. The party was held at the Western Steer Steakhouse in Stanleyville and was hosted by Mrs. Brewer’s two brothers, their wives and brother-in-law; Mr. and Mrs. L. Marion Harper of Stadium Drive; Mr. and Mrs. A. B. Harper of Styers Ferry Road; and Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Tesh of Brandywine Drive

Mrs. Iris Kinnamon Byrne of Proctorville, Ohio, and a member of the graduating class of 1935 of Clemmons High School, was in town this past week to attend the school reunion. This was her first time in the old school since her graduation. She stayed with her sister, Mrs. Hazel Coffey of Keating Drive, and really enjoyed seeing old friends from Clemmons.

Mrs. Fannie Ogburn, of Clemmons Road, had her son and daughter-in-law Mr. and Mrs. Moyer Ogburmn of Niceville, Florida, as her houseguests this past weekend. They attended the Clemmons School Alumni Reunion last Sunday. Moyer was a member of the class of 1936 and was class president that year. Fannie was graduate of the Class of 1905 at the old Clemmons Moravian School.

Mr. and Mrs. Michael Bradley of Tamworth Drive, Clemmons, announced the birth of their first child, a daughter, Jaclyn Melissa. The mother is the former Terri Leigh White, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W.W. White.

Don and Barbara Minor of Franklin Road, recently enjoyed a trip to Ocala, Florida. While in Florida, they visited Silver Springs and took an hour and a half trip on the Rainbow Queen up the Ocklawaha River. The also visited with Mr. and Mrs. Fred Canter and son Richard and wife Karen. The Canters are former residents of Clemmons.

Nearly 1,000 people and former graduates of the old Clemmons High School gathered Sunday for the final reunion to be held at the present Clemmons School location. They came from all over the state and many came from other states. For some alumni, it was their first visit to the school since graduation decades ago. About a dozen graduates prior to 1926 were present. Felix C. Hege (class of 1929) and chairman of the event, made introductory remarks and announcements. W. Frank Morgan, principal of Clemmons since 1955, welcomed the returning alumni, friends and former faculty and staff members.