Southwest Athletics spring 2023 registration underway
Published 12:00 am Thursday, January 5, 2023
Southwest Athletics has outlined its upcoming programs. Listed below are details for the available programs. Please note that when you register the system will only allow you to register for the age class of your child. This does not mean that he/she will be placed in this division — Southwest is an ability based program so they may move up or down accordingly after evaluations. If you would like your child to be considered for a division, please make that note in the registration.
• Quick-Ball — In 2016, Southwest Athletics changed its T-ball format to a program called Quick-Ball. Quick-Ball is a highly engaging program for beginners to learn the concept of baseball/softball. With visual decals helping the kids to understand where to run, throw the ball and how to hit properly. The league provides each child with a bat and ball to take home and practice. No gloves are required for this program.
• Machine Pitch — In this division all of the pitches come from a mechanical machine. The machine is at a constant setting that allows the players to advance as the season progresses. Machine Pitch is a great way for players who have gone through the Quick-Ball program to advance further, however, it’s also geared for players who may just be starting out as well.
• Modified Kid Pitch — This division is modified to allow pitchers the ability to learn pitching, hitters to learn from hitting off of kid pitchers. However, the coach is allowed to pitch once a certain number of walks are given up in a inning. This allows the game to move along smoothly but also gives the players the opportunity to stay engaged in the game.
• Major 65/Major Baseball — Both divisions are played as a normal game of baseball.
• Junior Baseball — This is on the big field (as a Major League game) and is played as per the baseball rulebook.
• CP Softball — In this division all of the pitches come from a coach. CP is a great way for players who have gone through the Quick-Ball program to advance further, however, it’s also geared for players who may just be starting out as well and want to learn the game of softball.
• Minor/Major Softball — Both divisions are played as a normal game of softball.
You can request to stay down a division if you feel it’s in the best interest of your son/daughter.
To register, go to www.swathletics.org/Default.aspx?tabid=2532300 .