Deaths for the week of Jan. 12
Published 12:22 am Tuesday, January 10, 2023
Christopher Robin Dean
Christopher Robin of Clemmons passed away on Wednesday, Jan. 4, 2023, at home. Robin was born on May 7, 1937 at Brooke Road, Prices Risborough, Buckinghamshire, England, the second child of Frank (the village policeman) and Kathleen Dean. At school he objected to having his name shortened to Chris Dean (Christine) so he made everyone call him Robin. This stuck throughout his life. Robin enjoyed helping his dad to check on the blackout in the village during the second world war. His favorite thing was to help launch the inflated barrage balloon every evening from the Risborough Market Square. Robin joined the Cub Scouts at 8 years old. He stayed in Scouting through Scouts and Venture Scouts finally achieving the honor of becoming a Queen’s Scout. Robin was mad about football (soccer) and played for local teams in Risborough and with Molins work teams. After moving to the U.S., he continued promoting and playing soccer. He played for the Cougars in Winston-Salem and Clemmons until he hung up his cleats in his mid sixties. Robin also enjoyed playing golf all over the world and played until his knees and back couldn’t take the pace. Robin started his working life as an apprentice engineer with Molins U.K. He qualified as a service engineer and worked in many countries all over the world, maintaining cigarette making and packing machines. He finally took up residence in N.C., where he met his wife Sherry and worked until his initial retirement from Molins. After retirement he was a hired contractor for Lorillard tobacco until his final retirement. Robin was a champion of community involvement. He attended and spoke at many council meetings and was passionate about protecting the village of Clemmons.
In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by his older sister Jean Turner. He leaves behind his wife Sherry Dean of Clemmons; brother Colin Dean (Diane); son, Richard Dean (Angela); daughter, Tracy Cutler (Mike); six grandchildren and four great-grandchildren with a fifth on the way, all of England.
The family will have a private celebration of his life at a later date. Memorials can be made to Trellis Supportive Care of Winston Salem.
• • •
• Carl Wayne Cooper — 67, passed away peacefully at his home on Friday, Jan. 6, 2023.
• John Dick Beamer — 97, passed away Wednesday, Jan. 4, 2023, at Davie Medical Center.
• Noal Gilbert Thomas — 85, passed away Tuesday, Jan. 3, 2023.
• Rachel Irene Shore went home to be with her Lord and Savior on Jan. 2, 2023.
• Ronald Lee McGuire — 74, passed away Monday, Jan. 2, 2023, at his home.
• Gary Wayne Barbee —79, of Winston-Salem, passed away peacefully at his home on Sunday, Jan. 1, 2023.
• John Robert O’Connor Sr. — 80, of Lewisville, formerly of Monmouth County N.J., passed away unexpectedly Sunday, Jan. 1, 2023.
• James Francis Mackin Jr. — 87, passed away Saturday, Dec. 31, 2022, at his home.
• Matthew Joseph Kane Sr. — 88, of Clemmons passed away peacefully on Friday, Dec. 30, 2022.
• Richard Sheets — 88, of Clemmons passed away on Wednesday, Jan. 4, 2023.
• Barbara Elizabeth Wakeling Baker — 90, of Advance passed away on Friday, Dec. 30, 2022.