Community Calendar for week of April 13
Published 12:00 am Thursday, April 13, 2023
Free tax preparation offered by AARP Tax Aide through April 15
AARP Tax Aide will again provide free personal income tax return preparation and e-filing for personal federal and state income tax returns at the Clemmons Library from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. every Wednesday through April 15.
Everyone is welcome regardless of age or income. Some complicated returns might be beyond the scope of the program, but people are seldom turned away. Clients do not need to be a member of AARP.
Here are the steps that need to be followed to schedule an appointment.
1. Obtain a tax packet from one of the library branches listed below (or go to www.wstaxaide.com and print the forms).
2. Follow the instructions in the tax packet, including scheduling an appointment (or call 336-777-6189).
3. Appointments take place on the days listed below from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at one of the following library branches:
• Monday and Tuesday at Reynolda Manor Branch, 2839 Fairlawn Dr., Winston-Salem
• Wednesday at Clemmons Branch, 6365 James St., Clemmons
• Thursday and Friday at Southside Branch, 3155 Buchanan St., Winston-Salem
4. Walk-ins will be accommodated if possible. Be present by noon at the very latest. To speed up the process, obtain the tax packet above, follow the instructions, and bring the tax packet and all tax documents to the library. Both spouses must be present if filing jointly.
5. AARP Tax Aide prefers, but does not require, that the taxpayer has an email account.
Please do not call the libraries with questions or requests for appointments.
‘Stations of the Cross’ at Concord Church through April 15
Concord Church will be hosting “Stations of the Cross.” This is a deeply moving spiritual experience. Stations of the Cross is a walking path with different worship stations along the path with visual reminders of Jesus’ passion, His death, burial and resurrection. Each station offers a visual reminder, scripture, mediation and prayer. More information can be found on Concord Church Facebook page. Concord Church is located at 8955 Concord Church Road in Lewisville.
Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist Davie Medical Center will host a blood drive from 1-5:30 p.m. on Thursday, April 2, in the fourth floor conference room. For an appointment, go to redcrossblood.org or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767). Davie Medical Center is located at 329 N.C. Hwy. 801 North in Bermuda Run.
Welcome to Medicare Workshop
The Shepherd’s Center of Greater Winston-Salem is offering a virtual workshop for individuals turning 65 (as well as those who already have Medicare) to learn about the different insurance options available, including “Original Medicare,” Medicare prescription drug programs, Medicare supplements and Medicare Advantage plans.
The session will be held virtually via Zoom on Tuesday, April 25, from 3-4:30 p.m. through computer and telephone access.
The session is designed to explain and clarify the Medicare sign-up process and educate attendees on how to make smart choices. Trained Seniors’ Health Insurance Information Program (SHIIP) counselors will be available to answer general questions.
The session is provided at no cost. Because space is limited, reservations are required. Contact the Shepherd’s Center at 336-748-0217 or Info@shepherdscenter.org for more information or to reserve a seat.
Calendar items must be received by Friday each week in order to be published in the next week’s paper. Email items to email@example.com.