Deaths for the week of Sept. 14
Published 12:00 am Thursday, September 14, 2023
Steven Richard Ford, 51, of Advance passed away peacefully on Aug. 25, 2023, at the Kate B. Reynolds Hospice Home with family and friends by his side. Steve became free of pain and his long fight with cancer was over as he was welcomed into heaven with open arms.
Steve was born on Dec. 7, 1971, to Barbara VanDyke and the late Richard Ford in Chillicothe, Ohio. He is survived by his wife Shannon and son Luke of Advance; mother Barbara VanDyke (Bill Roberts) of Kississimee; mother-in-law, Alma Shinault of Clemmons; sister-in-law Annette Dezarn (David) of Mocksville; as well as special nieces Natalie Dezarn of Mocksville and Madison Hedrick (Alex) of Middlesex.
Steve loved his family dearly. Shannon and Luke were the light of his life, and he enjoyed spending as much time with them as possible. Steve was loved by a group of chosen brothers who would drop everything in a second to help him — Jon Foster, Ryan King, Mike McLean, Chad Noggle, Tim Pennington, Jake Rowe, Joe Thompson, Ryan Thompson and Dan Van Deusen.
His canine companions were dear to him. Booker has stayed behind with Shannon and Luke, but Missy and Barney are on a long walk with him now.
His legacy will carry on forever, reminding us that we control our attitudes. We choose to live a life of meaningful acts of love and service, like Christ modeled for us.
Everyone who knew Steve felt his big heart and giving nature. He was a huge fan of Ohio State and Cleveland Browns football. He loved spending time on the golf course (as many days as his health and weather allowed). He also had a sweet tooth that was unrivaled.
A celebration of his life will be held on Sunday, Sept. 24, 2023, at 3 p.m. at Hillsdale Church, 5018 U.S. 158 in Advance. Join in for a memorial service and fellowship with the family after to share all of the happiness that he brought to everyone. Dress for a gathering of friends rather than a funeral.
The family would like to thank a team of incredibly special caregivers who planned, cared and worked alongside him for 5.5 years and who repeatedly saw firsthand that miracles can happen — Katie Carlton, Julie Clevenger, April Greissinger and Dr. Caio Rocha-Lima of Wake Forest Baptist Health. A special thank you to the sweet and caring team at Trellis Supportive Care, with a special thanks to his home nurse, Marie Ward.
Anyone who wishes to honor Steve is requested to make a contribution to Luke’s college fund made payable to “College America for the benefit of Luke P. Ford” and mailed to the Ford residence at 115 Old Course Drive, Advance, NC 27006.
• • •
• Autumn Adrian Murphy Hooker passed away peacefully on Sept. 10, 2023, at the Kate B. Reynolds Home.
• Robert “Eddie” Godfrey, 56, passed away at his residence in Winston-Salem.
• Shelia Everhart Cothren, 76, passed away on Sept. 7, 2023.
• Scott William Noble, 46, shuffled off this mortal coil to explore the dark side of the moon on Wednesday, Sept. 6, 2023.
• Mrs. Emily Denise Hale, 39, passed away on Wednesday, Sept. 6, 2023.
• Thomas James “TJ” Cox, 41, passed away unexpectedly on Sept. 5, 2023.
• Margaret Walker McLeod, 87, passed away on Sept. 5, 2023, at Forsyth Medical Center.
• Patricia Ann Holler Cooke, 87, gained her heavenly wings on Monday, Sept. 4, 2023, at Kate B. Reynolds Hospice Home.
• Mr. James Samuel Jackson Jr., 73, passed away at his home on Sept. 4, 2023.
• James Everett Tedder, 96, a beloved husband, father, grandfather, great-grandfather and friend, passed away on Sept. 3, 2023.
• Chris Marie Clark, 67, passed away Saturday, Sept. 2, 2023.
• Joseph Dean Brock, 75, passed away Saturday, Sept. 2, 2023.
• Mrs. DeAnne Pratt Mitchell, 82, of Lewisville passed away Wednesday, Sept. 6, 2023.
• Mitchell “Mike” Mathor Smith Sr., 90, passed away Sept. 4, 2023.
• Barbara Lee Stone, 71, passed away on Sept. 6, 2023, in Clemmons.
• O.M. “Mickey” Caroon, 79, died peacefully on Sept. 9, 2023, surrounded by his loving family.
• Michelle Corbitt, 59, of Clemmons passed away on Sunday, Sept. 10, 2023.