Deaths for the week of Nov. 16
Published 12:00 am Thursday, November 16, 2023
Mary Lee Cope
It is with profound sadness that we announce the passing of Mary Lee Cope, who left us peacefully in Kate B. Reynolds Hospice House on Nov. 10, 2023. Born on Sept. 3, 1942, Mary led a life full of love, devotion and compassion, touching the lives of all those who had the pleasure of knowing her.
Mary was predeceased by her cherished parents, Lonnie and Clara Miller, whose memory she held dear to her heart throughout her life. She is survived by her beloved husband Donald Grey Cope, 3 children Benny Cope (Bernadine) of Winston-Salem, Darrell Cope (Cheryl) of Winston-Salem, and Felicia Grogan (Patrick) of Mooresville. She had six grandchildren and four great-grandchildren. Nicole and Sam Flippen of Sellersburg, Indiana (Grayson and Kinley) Benjamin and Stephanie Cope of Matthews, North Carolina (Brayden and Kaylee) Samantha Cope of Midway, North Carolina, Natalie and James Trantham of Winston-Salem, North Carolina, Delana Grogan of Orange City, Florida and Tara Grogan of Quantico, Virginia.
Mary Lee grew up in Winston-Salem where she attended Griffith High School. She was a nurse at Forsyth Hospital for many years working in the intensive care unit on third shift. She spent time volunteering at South Little League in her spare time.
She enjoyed spending time with her family. She was a loving and devoted mother and wife. She was a woman of many talents, Mary found pleasure in the simpler things in life. She was an avid quilter, taking pride in creating handcrafted treasures for her loved ones. Her interest also extended to nurturing plants; she found great joy in watching her garden flourish under her attentive care.
She attended First Baptist Church of Clemmons and served the Lord in many roles. Our family is grateful to know that Mary Lee is finally at peace. She will be deeply missed.
As we say our final goodbyes to Mary, we remember her for the wonderful woman she was — a beacon of love, strength and compassion. Her legacy will continue to live on in the hearts of all those who knew and loved her.
Services will be held at Parklawn Memorial Gardens Mausoleum Chapel on Friday, Nov. 17, 2023, at 11 a.m. with Revs. David Pace and Rick Carter officiating. Visitation will be from 10:30-11 a.m. prior to the service. All are welcome.
The staff of Davidson Funeral Home Hickory Tree Chapel is honored to be serving the Cope family during this difficult time.
Online condolences may be made at www.davidsonfuneralhome.net
• • •
• Shirley Dean Zimmerman, 77, was called home to be with the Lord on Nov. 11, 2023.
• Jane Hoffman Conner, beloved wife, mother and grandmother, passed away peacefully on Nov. 11, 2023, at The Hinkle Hospice House in Lexington.
• Martha Ann Stone Hooker, 76, passed away peacefully on Friday, Nov. 10, 2023, at Summerstone Health and Rehabilitation Center.
• Mark Alan Speiser, 70, beloved husband, father, grandfather, brother and uncle, died on Thursday, Nov. 9, 2023, at home surrounded by his family.
• Eddie Hale Sr., 77, of Winston-Salem passed away on Nov. 8, 2023, at his home.
• Mary Catherine Hauser Pitts, 104, passed away Wednesday, Nov. 8, 2023. She was born in Clemmons on Oct. 27, 1919.
• Larry Kenneth Ham, 75, passed peacefully while surrounded by his family on Nov. 6, 2023.
• Luther Bennett Clapp, 93, of Midway passed away Monday, Nov. 6, 2023, at his home.
• Thomas “Tom” Earl Sturgill, 84, passed at Kate B. Reynolds Hospice Home on Nov. 6, 2023.
• Marie Voss, 83, of Clemmons passed away peacefully on Wednesday, Nov. 6, 2023.
• Peggy Jean Aycoth Smith, 87, of Mocksville passed away Friday, Nov. 10, 2023.
• Della Posey Craver, 95, of Clemmons passed away Saturday, Nov. 4, 2023.
• Dallas Marvin Spainhour, 88, passed away Tuesday, Nov. 7, 2023, at his home.
• Robert John Sulek, 76, passed away at his home on Sept. 12, 2023.
• Marjorie Fink, 89, of Advance passed away on Saturday, Nov. 11, 2023.